Purchasing Specialist- 1456
Oak Ridge, TN
• Performs duties in purchasing, including bidder prequalification, bidder lists, bid solicitation, bid analysis, negotiation and commitment of purchase orders.
• Performs administration of purchase orders following commitments involving high monetary expenditure or risk, engineered technical specifications, or supplementary commercial conditions.
• Develops and monitors purchasing master pro-forma documents for both domestic and international projects.
• Participates in the planning, work hour calculations and budgeting as it relates to project purchasing activities.
• Develops and prepares pro-forma forms, including legal and commercial terms and conditions to be included in purchase documents on project commitments.
• Reviews prime contract terminology and transfers applicable legal and commercial terms into the pro-forma documents.
• Reviews and develops other commercial and technical data prepared by Engineering, Construction, Finance, Traffic & Logistics, Insurance, Tax and other procurement functional groups and inputs suitable terminology into pro-forma documents.
• Participates in the development of project purchasing procedures.
• Prepares, maintains, and monitors project bidders’ lists, ensuring input is received from all procurement functions and other operational groups.
• Participates in the planning, work hour calculations, budgeting and other related activities in projecting purchasing staffing requirements for projects.
• Forms, issues, and administers purchase orders. Communicates with suppliers to achieve required service and meet project needs.
• Communicates with Engineering to assist and/or guide them in the preparation of material requisitions.
• Prepares and organizes assigned Procurement sponsored meetings.
• Directs negotiations in the commitment of purchases, following review and approval of the proposed negotiating plan by the designated supervisor.
• Provides training and guidance to other purchasing personnel regarding all aspects of formation and administration of purchasing forms, procedures, and buying goods.
• Assists project Procurement team when instructed in solving and attending to administrative problems on commitments involving high monetary expenditure or risk, engineered technical specifications or supplemental commercial conditions. Monitors billing for compliance
• Reports to and receives operational direction from the Purchasing Supervisor.
• At jobsite locations, reports to and receives operational direction from the Acquisition Services Manager.
• May provide supervision, training and guidance to other purchasing personnel as required.
• Maintains working relationships with project Procurement personnel and project discipline personnel in order to perform assigned duties.
• Maintains working relationships with those bidders and suppliers involved with the performance of assigned tasks.
• Maintains contacts with global business unit personnel, including functional supervisors, to maintain an awareness of the performance and operating problems of contractors on other Bechtel jobs, and to coordinate the development of problem resolutions, of claims settlements, and other contractual matters.
Qualifications and Skills
• Level 1: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, or a related subject and 6 years of professional related work experience, or in lieu of degree, 12 years of progressive,related work experience including but not limited to, Procurement/Subcontracts, preferably in an engineering, procurement, and construction environment.
• Level 2: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, or a related subject and 9 years of professional related work experience, or in lieu of degree, 15 years of progressive, related work experience including but not limited to, Procurement/Subcontracts, preferably in an engineering, procurement, and construction environment.
• Candidate must be a US citizen
• Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check, including verification of employment and education
• Must be able to obtain a site security badge
• Working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and experience in implementing FAR and applicable Agency Supplements as required by the prime contract.
• Skilled in working with and communicating effectively both orally and in writing with other project functional groups, suppliers and government officials.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the formation and administration of purchase orders and subcontracts.
• Basic understanding of Government Contracts and flow down of applicable clauses and requirements.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
• Basic understanding of Cost Accounting Standards, and determination process for applicability to the work
• Prior experience working in the government environment.
• Experience writing policy and procedural documents.
• Experience in the formation, bid, evaluation award and administration of major equipment purchases and subcontracts ranging from $5M to $50M in value.