General Purpose: Provide direct supervision of crews working on underground utility installation and site earthwork/grading operations. Coordinate all activities related to a construction project. Complete work ahead of schedule, within budget and within specifications.
Work Schedule: Days and hours vary depending on the assigned project.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Must be able to perform all duties required of a foreman position
- Promote and comply with all Company and safety policies and procedures
- Enforce company safety policy to develop culture of safety
- Plan for safety and train workers on safety
- Directly supervise and coordinate daily activities of Foreman and/or more than one crew
- May work with client in order to keep the project on schedule and under budget
- Ability to plan ahead and order necessary materials or equipment to maintain crew productivity
- Thorough working knowledge of specifications and how they impact the job quality and production
- Resolve contract disputes
- Document any change order request from client
- Recommend best practices improvement for production, performance, quality and safety
- Responsible for receipt of all deliveries
- Ensure timely delivery of materials, confirm there is no damage to the materials and verify quantities
- Document all damage to materials on packing slips, or photograph if necessary
- Understand specifications, blueprints, addendums and change orders
- Must be able to recognize any changes to work plans and track accordingly
- Perform minor job layout with levels, transit and string line
- Forecast goals and work ‘look ahead’ for job
- Lead crew, subcontractors and other supervision to achieve tight deadlines and production goals
- Check quality of completed work
- Direct and schedule the work of the job
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with customers to encourage repeat and referral business
- Monitor productivity reports and corresponding payroll records
- Handle customer complaints immediately
- Monitor paper flow to ensure all document are accounted for, filled out completely and legibly and filed or distributed to the appropriate parties
- Ensure that proper safety equipment is available and being used properly
- Facilitate and/or conduct technical and safety training and send employees to appropriate training schools as needed
- Assist Human Resources and Project Superintendent by interviewing, hiring and training, appraising work performance and addressing complaints of employees in the field
- Maintain a professional appearance
- Other duties as assigned by Project Superintendent or Project Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience
- Should have the same basic aptitude and interests as those working in the craft, being supervised plus additional reading, writing and math skills
- North Dakota: Sewer and Water Installer Licensure
- Knowledge of equipment, materials, methods, and techniques relative to civil work including underground utilities, earthwork, and grading.
- Valid driver’s license to operate motor vehicles.
- Must possess strong communication and management skills
- Computer skills
- Microsoft office (word, excel, outlook)
- Complete timecards and daily reports
- Proficient in one or more craft areas
- Ability to work well under pressure and work within timelines
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Add and subtract two digit numbers and multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s, ability to perform these operations using unit weight measurements and volumes.
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form
- Workers should be able to work within precise standards of accuracy and follow set procedures and standards
- Supervise and delegate activities for up two Foreman and thirty employees
- Carryout supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include planning, assigning and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees’ addressing complaints and resolving problems
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Able to bend, stoop, squat, crawl, climb, kneel, balance, push, pull, and reach overhead for extended periods of time.
- Lift and carry at least 50 to 100 pounds.
- Climb and descend all types of ladders.
- Wear personal protective equipment (e., hardhat, eye protection, respiratory protection, fall protection, etc.)
- May be required to travel to different jobsites on limited notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position requires working in all elements – heat, cold, rain, or snow – depending on job location and time of year.
- May require use of personal vehicle for transportation to and from work site.
- Must be able to utilize job site sanitary facilities (e., Portable Toilets).
- May require work in restricted areas (e., excavations, utility tunnels, manholes, tanks, crawl spaces, attics, etc.).
- May require working at various heights, up to 100-feet, from ladders, scaffolds, aerial lifts, catwalks, or other safe work areas.