Equipment Operator-Heavy (Dirt) - 40346
Responsible for operating various types of heavy equipment, including but not limited to front end loaders (4CY or greater), motor grader, excavator (20 ton class or larger), dozer, scraper, tractor – pan, trackhoe, skid pan, PD-10, trencher, and applicable light and medium equipment to perform construction task such as land clearing, common/mass excavation, pond/reservoir excavation, rough grade/finish grade roadway, underground utility work for various types of heavy civil, industrial, and wind projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Promote and comply with all Company and safety policies and procedures
- Operates heavy equipment and includes knowledge of equipment functions, running, navigating, detects or assesses problems, mechanical aptitude, and driving
- May build level and/or extreme terrain and excavate land surfaces, using various pieces of construction equipment listed above
- Drive and maneuver equipment equipped with blades in successive passes over working areas to remove top soil, vegetation, and rocks and to distribute and level earth or terrain
- Gather and load dirt, stone, equipment, materials and waste product from jobsite onto trucks using different pieces of equipment
- Ability to excavate trenches with proper slopes per OSHA
- Coordinate machine actions with other activities, positioning or moving loads in response to hand or audio signals from crew members
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly, listen and understand information through spoken words and sentences to ensure full comprehension of job duties, safety regulations, and other situations that may require an immediate response
- Perform maintenance duties such as cleaning, greasing and oiling machines; fill out maintenance reports daily
- May be required to travel to different jobsites on limited notice
- Position may involve performing other duties as required which may not be mentioned and may change from time to time as assigned by Superintendent or Foreman
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and one to three years or more related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected by the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working toward Wanzek’s Zero Injury principles
- This position requires working in the internal and external environment, flexible work schedule, nights and / or weekends will be required.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, read engineering drawings and procedure manuals
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Knowledge and operation of various GPS systems
- Common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form
- Workers should be able to work within precise standards of accuracy; follow set procedures and standards, judge distances and slopes accurately; and make decisions based on verifiable standards
- Working knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in structural fills, DOT, and other public and private entities.
MasTec, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company's policy is not to unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, military status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also MasTec's policy to comply with all applicable state, federal and local laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.